Have you ever tried a spicy bitter gourd recipe? If not, don’t miss this delicious vegan dish this time. Bitter gourd curry is one of the well-known dishes in Sri Lanka. You can prepare bitter gourd curry in different ways, but this method is one of the easiest ways to make bitter gourd curry for rice.
How bitter gourd provides healthy nutrients to your body?
Bitter gourd contains a range of nutrients, iron, potassium, vitamin C, and magnesium. It is an excellent source of fiber and contains a large amount of calcium. Bitter gourd is good for maintaining blood sugar, lowering bad cholesterol levels, good for the eyes, preventing premature skin aging, boosting the immune system, cleansing the liver, and helping in weight loss. It is easily one of the healthiest vegetables for you.
Basically, this bitter gourd recipe will be prepared for lunch. It is the best combo with rice or bread. When you have all the below ingredients, give it a try. I am sure you will like this healthy vegan dish. Alright, let’s see how to make an easy bitter gourd curry recipe
- Bitter Gourd – 150g
- Onion – 50g
- Green Chili – 2 or 3
- Garlic Cloves – 2 or 3
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Thin Coconut Milk – 400ml
- Tamarind Juice – 100ml
- Curry Powder – 1 ¼ Tablespoon
- Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ Teaspoon
- Sugar – ¼ Teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 1 Tablespoon
- Salt & Water – As you need
- Take the bitter gourd and cut it into 2-inch pieces. Take a bowl and add bitter gourd pieces, salt, and water. Leave it to soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Get ready with curry powder, turmeric powder, sugar, fenugreek seeds, and curry leaves. Also, slice the onions, green chilies, and garlic cloves.
- Get ready with thin coconut milk and tamarind juice.
- Now take the soaked bitter gourd pieces and rinse them thoroughly in normal water at least 1 or 2 times. Place the cooking pan over the stove. Add the rinsed bitter gourd pieces, curry powder, turmeric powder, sugar, and fenugreek seeds.
- Also, add sliced onions, garlic cloves, green chilies, and curry leaves.
- Add one tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Add tamarind juice.
- Also, add coconut milk.
- Mix it well and switch on the flame.
- Cook covered for 10 to 12 minutes under high flame. Take off the lid, stir, and mix everything well.
- Again, cook covered for 8 to 10 minutes under low flame.
- Taste the curry and adjust the salt if needed.
- Serve and enjoy this thick and spicy bitter gourd recipe.
How to remove the bitterness from a bitter gourd?
Here’s a list of five easy tips that can come quite handy to you in removing the bitterness from bitter gourd.
1. Scrape off the Rugged Surface
In order to reduce the bitterness from bitter gourd, the very first step is to scrape off the rugged surface from the top. With the help of a peeler, make the surface smooth.
2. Deseed the Bitter Gourd
Once you’re done scraping off the rugged surface, slice the bitter gourd and remove big seeds from it before using it for cooking. Doing so will keep the bitterness at bay to a considerable extent.
3. Use Salt
When it comes to removing bitterness from bitter gourd, salt can be of great help as it tends to draw out the bitter juices from it. All you have to do is to rub the sliced bits with lots of salt. Transfer the pieces to a bowl and allow them to stay for 20-30 minutes before cooking.
4. Squeeze the Juice
After applying salt to it, don’t forget to squeeze out the juice from the bitter gourd. Wash it under running water and squeeze again for better results.
5. Use Diluted Yogurt
To remove bitterness from bitter gourd, another way is to dilute bitter gourd pieces in diluted yogurt for at least an hour or so before use. However, the best way to benefit from all the goodness from bitter gourd without the hassle of the above prep is to consume supplements with it to be part of the ingredients. Byherbs Bumi Plus is an herbal complex formulated to maintain healthy blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels. It contains 4 main ingredients, in its layman’s terms: Green Chiretta, Misai Kucing, Gurmar, and Bitter Gourd. These 4 ingredients each have potent benefits and work together to give the best results.