Many easy steps can be taken to keep your eyes healthy. Let’s start practicing these steps and not take our eyes for granted.
1. Eat Well
Good eye health starts with the food on your plate. Nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E might help ward off age-related vision problems like macular degeneration and cataracts. To get them, fill your plate with:
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, and collards
- Salmon, tuna, and other oily fish
- Eggs, nuts, beans, and other nonmeat protein sources
- Oranges and other citrus fruits or juices
The nutrients in these foods help you to stay at a healthy weight and simultaneously help to lower your odds of obesity and related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, which is the leading cause of blindness in adults.
2. Quit Smoking
Smoking increases the chance of getting cataracts, damaging your optic nerve, and macular degeneration, among many other medical problems. If you’ve tried to kick the habit before only to start again, keep at it. The more times you try to quit, the more likely you are to succeed. Ask your doctor for help.
3. Reduce screen time
Staring at a computer or phone screen for too long can cause:
- Blurry vision
- Trouble focusing at a distance
- Dry eyes
To protect your eyes:
- Make sure your glasses or contacts prescription is up to date and good for looking at a computer screen.
- Move the screen so your eyes are level with the top of the monitor. That lets you look slightly down at the screen.
- Try to avoid glare from windows and lights. Use an anti-glare screen if needed.
- If your eyes are dry, blink more.
Rest your eyes every 20 minutes. Look 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Get up at least every 2 hours and take a 15-minute break.
4. Outdoor Activities
Don’t just stick around indoors. Studies have shown that staying outdoors can prevent the onset of, and slow down, myopia progress
5. Regular Check-Ups
Schedule and stick to regular eye check-ups – even if you have a clean bill of health for your peepers previously
Supplements for healthier eyes
Besides all the tips given, you can also opt for supplements that can further help to improve the health of your eye. Get yourselves a supplement with all the supporting ingredients such as lutein, bilberry or carrot extract.