Jamu juice is a traditional Indonesian herbal drink that keeps your body refreshed and balanced. It’s a simple blend of fresh turmeric, ginger, lemon, water, and sweetened with a bit of honey. Serve it chilled or warmed up for the perfect immunity booster this season.
Nowadays, the most common form of Jamu is turmeric Jamu. This is an all-natural, anti-inflammatory tonic that boasts tons of health and beauty benefits. And while the name sounds exotic, the ingredients are quite simple.
This recipe includes fresh turmeric, Manjakani, ginger, honey, a squeeze of lemon, and coconut water. Yep, that’s it! But you’d be surprised at what this simple combination can do. From reducing inflammation, improving digestion, to enhancing immunity, this juice really does it all. And it’s no wonder why everyone in Bali is drinking this by the jar.
JAMU JUICE INGREDIENTS
Here’s a quick breakdown of the exact ingredients you’ll need for this recipe.
- Fresh Turmeric – 125 grams
- Manjakani – 5 seeds
- Fresh Ginger – 20 grams
- Black Pepper – a pinch
- Lemon – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 2 tablespoons (or another sweetener)
- Coconut Water – 4 cups
Things to keep in mind about some of these ingredients:
- Make sure to rinse and clean your fresh turmeric and ginger with hot water as you won’t be peeling the skin off.
- Be mindful that turmeric can stain! So wash your blender and chopping board immediately after use.
- For the liquid base, you can use regular water instead of coconut water. But I’ve chosen to use coconut water to add extra electrolytes.
Alternatively, Byherbs Women’s Secret can give you all the benefits that Jamu has without the pungent smell.