Osteoporosis is a disease that has affected over 200 million people worldwide. It’s a medical condition where the quality and density of the bones decrease over time leading to a higher susceptibility of fractures later in life.
Here are some quick facts about osteoporosis:
- Most people start to lose bone density around the age of 30.
- Women over the age of 50 are more likely to break a bone due to osteoporosis compared to men in the same age group.
- In the later years, osteoporosis can lead to hip fractures which can cause loss of function and independence.
Unfortunately, osteoporosis is a silent disease that doesn’t display any symptoms until it is too late. While there is no cure for osteoporosis, there are ways to prevent or slow down the disease. We can start with a good diet with high in calcium.
- 375 ml full cream milk
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 45 g instant oats
- 3 tbsp ground almond
- 1 egg (A size)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp baking soda
- unsalted butter (at room temperature, for frying)
- vanilla yoghurt
- fresh fruit of your choice (mango, banana, strawberries or golden kiwifruit)
- Place full cream milk, self-raising flour, instant oats, ground almond, egg, vegetable oil and baking soda into the blender and blend till smooth.
- Melt ½ tsp unsalted butter on a non-stick pan.
- Pour pancake batter and fry till golden brown on both sides.
- Serve warm with topping of vanilla yoghurt and fresh sliced assorted fruits.
When you think of bone health, the nutrient that often comes to mind is calcium. However, calcium isn’t the only nutrient that’s important for good bone health. It’s important to include other nutrients like vitamin D and protein into your diet while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. That is why we have supplements now filled with all the nutrients to support the health.