A dinner that’s healthy for people with diabetes, and delicious enough for everyone, doesn’t have to take a lot of time. This easy diabetic recipe is ready in 30 minutes or less.
Spinach and Mushroom Smothered Chicken
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon rotisserie chicken seasoning
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- Preheat grill or broiler. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and green onions until tender. Stir in spinach and pecans until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoning. Grill, covered, on an oiled grill rack over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat on a greased broiler pan until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-5 minutes per side. Top with cheese; grill or broil until cheese is melted. To serve, top with mushroom mixture.
Health Tip: This low-carb main dish is also gluten-free.
1 serving: 203 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.