So, this bowl was inspired by our love of smoked salmon. We used the opportunity to try our hand at my first six-minute egg, which came out perfectly (if we may say so). This is one of those meals that can hold you over from breakfast to dinner. Between the protein and the potatoes and rice and sautéed veggies, it’ll leave you holding your belly.
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bowl With a 6-Minute Egg
- 1 cup brown rice
- 5 baby red potatoes (quartered)
- 8 oz. smoked salmon
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves (washed and dried)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- In a saucepan, mix brown rice, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to be boiled. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes with the lid still covering the saucepan. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with foil. Toss potatoes with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread across baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for half an hour, tossing them mid-way to ensure even cooking.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of butter and ensure the melted butter spreads across the bottom by swirling the pan. Add sliced mushrooms in a single layer. Avoid clustering them. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook for 3 minutes, until they turn brown-ish. Afterwards, give the mix a quick stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer the mushrooms into a bowl.
- Return pan to heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add spinach leaves, lower heat to a simmer and cook until leaves have wilted. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add 4 cups of water to a medium-sized, deep-sided saucepan. Bring water to a rolling boil and gently place 2 eggs into the pot. Lower heat to a simmer and cook eggs for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs and rinse under cold water for a minute to shock them. Carefully crack and peel the eggs. Set aside.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice and smoked paprika until thoroughly combined. Season with salt to add taste.
- To assemble the dish, spoon 1 tablespoon of the sauce on the bottom of two bowls. Distribute 1/4 cup brown rice into each. Top each with mushrooms, spinach, roasted potatoes, and 4 oz. smoked salmon. Place the eggs in a bowl and, using a sharp knife, cut them in half, lengthwise. Garnish with chopped parsley, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.