Do you have a sweet tooth but suffer from diabetes? Here is a diabetic-friendly cake recipe that will satisfy your cravings without jeopardizing your health!
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend* equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Powdered sugar
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 tablespoonssugar-free chocolate-flavoured syrup (optional)
- Leave your eggs to warm at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Layer the bottom of the pan with parchment paper; grease and lightly flour paper. Set pan aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Leave it aside for the meantime.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. In a large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until well mixed. Stir in mashed bananas and lemon juice. Fold flour mixture into banana mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched (roughly 15 minutes). Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Slowly peel off waxed paper. Starting from a short side, roll up towel and cake into a spiral.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling.
- Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up cake and filling into a spiral. Trim ends. Cover and chill for 2 days before serving. If desired, drizzle cake roll with chocolate syrup just before serving or slice crosswise to serve and drizzle each slice with chocolate syrup.
*SUGAR SUBSTITUTES: choose appropriate sugar substitute. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar.
*SUGAR SUBSTITUTES: PER SERVING WITH SUGAR SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 146 cal., 20 carb. Exchanges 1.5 other carb. Carb choices: 1.